How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Shifter and Steering

I was not able to simply hook-up the the shift linkage to the column because of the body lift. The 1 1/2' lift moved the linkage bayong it's adjustment. To resolve this, I simply straightened this bend slightly so that the end would pop into place when both the shifter and the tranny were in park. Then I ratcheted through the gears a few times and checked that it hit them all. Another thing to check off the list. Getting closer...
Next, I hooked up the steering shaft. This was a head scratcher for a while, mainly because it was one of the places where the 1977 met the 1992. I'm still not sure if I get how it all worked out, but I will try to describe it. Notice that the steering coupler is up by the '92 steering column and the rag joint is down by the '77 steering box.
This picture is of a spare '92 steering column and steering shaft to show the stock '92 configuration. Notice that the ragjoint is by the culumn and the coupler is above my hand where it would connect to the steering box. Here is the problem. The splines on the '92 coupler do not match the splines on the '77 steering box. Also, the shaft itself is about 2" too long. This is because the old style steering box is mounted differently and turns the opposite direction. I could have changed the box, and I still might, but this worked and there is no reason why it shouldn't be safe, as you will see.
Messing with a spare part, I found that the splines on the '77 coupler and the splines on the column side of the '92 rag joint were the same, so I drove out the roll pin on the column side of the '92 racg joint that was aready installed in the truck. Since I forgot to take picture, I am showing the part and the roll pin on the extra column.
This is the '92 coupler. I am not using this part as its splines only fit the '92 steering box. It is also connected to the shaft that is too long.

I ended up using the '77 shaft. Not only was it the right length, but it also was the only thing that had the correct splines (on the rag joint end) to fit the '77 steering box. This pic shows the '77 coupler installed on the '92 steering column with the roll pin reinstalled.

This shows the '77 ragjoint on the '77 steering box. For a while, I thought I was going to have to cut and weld the steering shaft and put it together with two rag joints. Neither of which would have made me hapy from either a safety or drivability standpoint. I am pleased with how this worked out.

The summary of this (I realize this has sounded like a bunch of circular mumbo-jumbo with a lot of '92s and '77s in it) is, if you are using the '92 cummins dash, column, and wiring harness, as I am, but retaining the old '77 steering box. also use the '77 steering shaft. Knock out the roll pin and remove the rag joint from the column, and the older shaft will fit.

If I had retained the old dash and column this would not have been an issue. But, by using the dash wiring that fits the engine wiring, I am saving a lot of wiring fabrication nightmare, which is my least favorite kind of nightmare. Since I am using the newer wiring, it only made sense to use the dash that it was meant for (even thhough the old steel dash is way cooler). The same goes for the column. The wiring plugs are different from '77 to '89, which in turn the '89 is different than the '92. In fact my '75 is different than my '77. By using the '92 I have plug and play wiring, I also have tilt, wheel monted cruise control buttons, and column mounted delay wipers instead of having to reach hafway across the dash to control the two speed wiper in the '77 dash. I also like the smaller overall diameter, but bigger grip diameter steering wheel. In my mind, this was the only way to go.

No comments: