How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Engine in.

It was great to get this behemoth off the floor today. It had been there for about a year. I am not sure which is heavier, the body or this mess. I should have extended the wheels under the engine more. It was tough to roll and easy to tip.
With the engine up this high, there was no way I was going to try to roll the crane. that would have been a disaster waiting to happen. Instead, I positioned the crane with the engine barely skimming the ground. Then, I lifted it up, being carefull not to get it swinging, and rolled the frame under.
Below is a pic of the engine cross-member. I had been concerned about the mount hole on the right side of the picture (left side of truck). The diesel frames have a slot on both sides as this does on the left in the pic. I did not want to mess with slotting the hole if I did not need to, so I gave it a try. First, I dropped the engine left motor mount into the hole.

Then the right side fell right into the slot with only a tap from the handle end of a 2-pound hammer. What a relief. I have only been worrying about this for several months. Am I pleased? You bet!

No comments: