How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Patches? We don't need no stinking patches.

Unconfortable with and, frankly, sick of the patches, I ventured down a new path today. I made the decision to give up the patching and replace the whole firewall. After grinding away all the gobbed on seam sealer with a wire bruch on the 4" angle grinder, I exposed this seam that runs all the way accross the cab where the floor panels meet the firewall. I plan to cut the firewall just above the seam about a quarter of an inch.
Since my donor firewall is out of an '89 pick-up, I am not only eliminating the rust, but I am also prepping the ramcharger to accept the newr style wiring harness and heater box. The harness and heater bow will make the transition ti the '92 style dash a matter of screws and bolts. To the untrained eye, it will liiok like the '92 dash and instruments were in the truck since 1977.

I also exposed this seam next to the kick panel. I will also cut 1/4 inch into the firewall with the cut-off wheel in the air grinder.
Here I have made my initial cuts. The key-hole shaped hole is where the parking brake cable passes through the floor.
An hour and three cut-off wheels later, the firewall is loose,
Another shot from the other side. Prior to cutting this out, I "practiced" on a 1989 half ton gasser that I bought last summer. I bought it to supply a transmission for my 1989 ramcharger that is now for sale, for the cool, super-heavy-duty bumpers that were on it, and to be a sheet metal donor. Eventually, I will make a utility trailor out of the bed and frame. Currently the engine and transfer case are up for sale.

No comments: