How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Grill Options

of all the Dodge truck grills, I am partial to this one. I am not sure why. For this body style it is one of the oldest and straight ones like this are almost nonexistant. This is the gril I plan to put on the crewcab sometime in the future. If particular interest is whether I can get it wrapped around an intercooler and air conditioning condensor. Note: this grill goes with round headlamps. This is just to check fitment.
In 1991 when the Cummins Turbo Diesel Dodges became intercooled, Dodge changed the grill style to the cromed plastic bubble grill to make room for the intercooler. With this old school grill off of a 1975 truck, there is very little extra space. The aluminum of the actual grill piece clears the intercoller, bet the steel valence below the grill does not. When I do the crew cab, I will be using an even bigger intercooler out of a 2nd generation (1995-?) It is 1/4 inch thicker and about 4 inches wider on both sides. Clearance will clearly be an issue, but I am confident that I can trim the valence to fit and still look nice.
This is the proper grill, the bubble grill, if you will, for the ctd (cummins turbo diesel) intercooled trucks. The valence inder the grill is for a gasser. I believe the ctd valences have ventilation for the bottom of the intercooler.
If a person is modifying an older core support as I am. The headlights would need to be relocated up a bit. Obviously the easiest thing for me to have done would have been to use this grill and get a correct core support to go with it, but then what would I have done with my time over the last few days...clean my shop?

No comments: