How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Intercooler Part 1 - Lots of work today.

The Ramcharger will be getting a stock first generation intercooler. I hope to fit it in behind a stock '89 or '77 grill. Some people say it can't be done. This is the side profile of the inlet. The outlet is identicle.
The tape shows that the bell is about 6" from top to bottom.
The inlet/outlet is a little over 2 5/8" in diameter.
The center of the inlet/outlet is 6 1/2" from the bottom of the intercooler. The inlet and the outlet will just fit on each side of the radiator flanges. The distance between them is the same as the distance beyond the flanges.
My layout may be lower on the core support than others because of the 1 1/2" body lift. The fact is, i am installing it as low as possible to keep the intercooler piping as level as possible. I am going to cut two 3" holes, one above the other, with a hole saw. Since the center of the hole is 6 1/2" from the bottom of the intercooler, I marked the center up 6 3/4 " up from the ledge at the bottom of the core support. Then I made marks 1 1/2" above and below the center mark. These will be the centers for the holes.
Since the fit will be tight, I measured 1 1/2" from the edge of the opening. This will put the edge of the hole right at the radiator flange.
Here is the outline of the of the hole marked out on the tape and the hole saw that gets to do the carnage.
The holes are drilled. The rest will be get trimmed out with the cut-off wheel.
Except for smoothing and paint, this one is done.
Clearly this flange in the center of the support will need to go away. I'll just cut it off.
The bracket is off now and the other hole is layed out the same as the first.
The two holes ar mostly through.
Once cleaned-up, the intercooler slipped right in place. In the next post, I will make some brackets an hook things up.

No comments: