How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Tank problems.

This may be out of order, but I got excited and failed to post for a few days. I had trouble getting fuel up to the lift pump, and, in the process of tracking down the problem, I noticed the fuel tank was seeping fuel. It looks like the exhause was at one time routed too close to the tank and melted it. I had inspected the spot and determined that it was okay, but apparently I was wrong.

So, I pulled out the tank that was destined for my crewcab project. This tank is out of a 1993 fuel injected ramcharger. The sending unit is out of a cummins diesel Dodge. The two wires on the left are both ground. The other two are for the guage and low fuel warning light.
The top hose is the fuel return line. The lower is the fuel delivery line.
The old fill neck that fits the body of the truck was held into the old tank with machine screws. The newer style tank has a big rubber donut that friction fits the tube. I saw no reason to remove the flange and risk damaging the fill tube.
I used the existing vent for my vent line.
These two wires are part of the original 1977 rc wiring for the fuel guage. The yellow is grounded to the frame. The green is part of the loom that goes all the way up to the firewall plug and ultimately to the guage.


Using a diesel tank unit out of the tank, I found that blue/yellow wire in the plug on the unit was the guage plug so I connected it to the green wire in the frame harness.

Then I soldered it.

And shrink-tubed it.

I did the same with the ground wire.


Everything made-up ready to lift the tank.

All tucked-up in the frame.

Thar she sits.

Finally, I hooked-up the fill tube and vent. Since the tank vent was 3/4" and the fill-neck vent was 3/8", I left a bit of the old hose on the fill-neck vent, then overlayed it with the bigger hose before clamping it. Worked slick.

No comments: