How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Windshield Day

I started by cleaning up both sides of the flange with a wire cup brush in the 4" angle grinder. I followed that with a couple of coats of black Zero Rust spray paint. While the paint was curing, I scrubbed the old window rubber with a brass wire brush in a bucket of soapy water. In the past, I would have just purchased a new one, but they are now about $65. The old one did not seem brittle, so I figured it would work even if it was full of crud and had green moss on it. after it was scrubbed clean, I rescrubbed it with R-U Glide. R-U Glide is the rubber lube that they use when mounting and dismounting tires. As you can see, the rubber looks like new.

I started by pushing the rubber onto the flange all the way around the opening. You can see that I also dabbed some body sealer in the gaps above the cowel. I had forgoten to do it before. When it dries, I will paint over it to make it black. Eventually, it will be covered by the upper valence.
Next, I put the bottom of the windshield into the groove in the rubber and leaned the glass back against the frame.
Ordinarily I would have tucked a rope into the groove to help pull the rubber lip over the edge of the glass. Not having a rope of the correct thickness, I opted to use this tool. I think it is a tool used to loosen stuck hoses, but I am not sure. I saw it in the middle of an intersection and thought it would look better in my toolbox than sticking out of somebody's tire, so I stopped to pick it up. Working slowly and pressing inward on the window with my hand, I worked my way around the glass.
Working mostly with the tool this way to avoid poking through the rubber, I pushed the lip from the inside of the cab out. Occasionally, I would use it in the way depicted to pull the lip over the glass. Whenever it started feeling tight, I would hose it down with windex and it would slide right in place.
Eventuallu, The entire glass was in the groove in the rubber.
Once the glass is seated, the lock cord goes in. The lock cord fills the void that allows the rubber to flex enough to be forced over the glass. Using a rag, I liberaly doused the cord with R-U Glide. When it was dry, I could not force it into the slot. Once lubed, I was able to pop it in place with my fingers.
I worked it all the way around.

Just to the right (picture right) of the shine on the bottom of the windshield, you can see about 6" of the cord stiking up. This is the overlap. I am pretty sure that over time the cord, which was stretched during install, will relax. If I cut it to fit now, it may leave a gap later. I will give it a few days, then I will trim it.



No comments: