How to view this blog.

Unfortunatly Blogspot will not allow for me to have my most recent posts show up at the bottom of the page. My newest posts always appear at the top. So, you may need to scroll down to the first unread post and work your way back up. Or, use the archive. It is a bit combersome, but it will have to do.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Intercooler part 2

This is a continuation of the previous post. The inlet tucks into the holes perfectly.

The outlet does the same.
A straight on shot of the outlet as viewed from the engine bay.
The stock intercooler has tabs with rubber isolators. The next few pics will show the process for making these mounts.

The back-side of the isolator was right at 1 1/2" from the core support. Looking in a tray of misc. junk, I came up with two spacers that were exactly 1 1/2" long and had a 1/2" inside diameter. I ground the paint away where the spacer comes in contact with the core support and tack welded it in place.
Then I welded all the way around the spacer.
The rubber isolator bushing has a sleeve i it that just accepts a 1/4" bolt. It just happens that a 1/4" nut fit almost snuggly in the end of the spacer, so I welded it in place. First I threaded it onto a bolt so I could hold onto it and keep it aligned while welding.
When I was done, I had made a nice little bracket this one is on the passenger side. I removed the overflow bottle prior to welding since it was attached to the other side of the core support.


This is the bracket on the driver's side all painted up. It happened to land right on the end of the indent for the battery tray, so, befoe welding it in place, I beat the end of the dimple flat with hammer from the engine side so I would have a flat surface to weld to. The rest of the dimpled area will still work for the battery tray.



I still need to make lower brackets for the intercooler.

I will weld two pocket to the front bottom of the core support to accept these bushings.

Here is the stock '92 tube attached to the outlet of the intercooler.

The same tube also attached to the intake.

Finally, this is the the tube installed from the turbo to the inlet on the intercooler.

No comments: